Cycling Dumfries campaigns for better cycling conditions, especially for those who don’t already cycle, while also encouraging those who are interested in cycling to start it up, or do more. We are also working to build connections between cyclists and groups that work with them in and around the area. Our main activities are:
- Lobbying – this is the reason we were originally founded, to try and be a voice for cycling in the town. We raise issues with the council where we see problems (or we hear about them from local cyclists). For instance, we’re currently pressing for a better route to the new hospital as well as better winter maintenance of the off-road cycling network. In the long term, we’d like to see safe access to allow all pupils to cycle to school if they want to, and the gaps in the existing cycling network to be closed. If there’s anything you’d like to see changed in the area, please let us know via the contact form on our about page, or email us on cyclingdumfries AT gmail DOT com.
- Campaigning events – our annual bike breakfast is also a chance for cyclists to meet with councillors and officials to air their concerns. At elections, we run candidate’s bike rides, to bring together voters and politicians to have a look at the issues directly that concern them.
- Encouraging cycling – our summer and winter bike rides are sociable rides suitable for all abilities to encourage people to try cycling on routes which are (and feel) safe. Our summer rides are particularly aimed at families and are suitable for all ages, taking place mainly on off-road routes or very quiet streets. Our winter rides are longer but still easily ridden by someone who is new to cycling and on quiet rural roads with a cafe stop built in. We also held Dumfries’s first ever Kidical Massive
- Meeting up – we meet on the first Tuesday of the month at 6pm in the Coach and Horses during the ‘lighter’ months (once the clocks have gone forward!). We have also started commuter meet ups during the summer to help put some names to the faces you might nod at every day on your way to work.
- Informing – hopefully this website will develop into a useful resource for all cyclists in the area to find out what’s going on. If you follow us on twitter or like us on Facebook you’ll get a reminder of any upcoming rides and other bike-related news.