No Bike? No excuse!
We have a fantastic range of independent bike shops in the region, selling a wide range of cycles and with expertise to keep your bike running smoothly. The Scotland Cycle Repair Scheme provides free repairs and maintenance to people who wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford it, to get thousands of people across Scotland on their bikes. Check which local shops offer it at https://www.cyclinguk.org/ScotCycleRepair
- Ae Bike Shop
- Annandale Cycles (Moffat)
- Castle Douglas Cycle Centre
- Cycle Centre (Dumfries)
- DG2 Wheels (Dumfries)
- Frothy Bike Co. (Dumfries)
- Kirkcowan Cycles
- MPG Cycles (Dalbeattie)
- Powerbikes (Dumfries)
- Rhins Active (Stranraer)
- Rik’s Bike Shed (Drumlanrig)
- Studio Velo (Castle Douglas)
- The Breakpad (Kirroughtree)
Local initiatives and projects
For a small region, there are plenty of cycling projects and intitiataves going on. Please let us know what we’ve missed by emailing email@example.com and we’ll keep updating our list.
- 7Stanes Mountain Biking
- Active Communities Dumfries & Galloway The Active Communities programme is focused on improving physical and mental wellbeing.
- Active Travel Dumfries A local Sustrans project helping more Health and Social Care staff to walk and cycle more, both for work and to work.
- Dalbeattie Community Initiative The initiative aims to act as a catalyst within the community, to respond to local needs and effectively reflect local priorities in order to promote and encourage the economic, social and physical regeneration of Dalbeattie and the surrounding area. Two cycling projects are Dalbeattie E-bike project and Rocks and Wheels.
- DG Doing More is all about finding practical ways for the people of Dumfries and Galloway to move a bit more as part of their everyday lives. It includes a directory of local clubs and activities to help you live well.
- Dumfries & Galloway CTC group
- Dumfries Cycling Club
- Galloway Cycling Holidays
- I Bike Dumfries A local project run by Sustrans, to get more children and families actively commuting to school via bike, scooter or walking.
- I Bike Communities A local project run by Sustrans working with adults and families to gain more confidence to choose Cycling as a chosen mode of travel.
- Let’s Get Biking Dumfries & Galloway SCIO Weekly cycle sessions for adults and children with additional needs.
- Wheels of Fleet Community Cycling Group based in Gatehouse of Fleet, Dumfries & Galloway Scotland. Interested in facilitating cyclists and cycling in the local area.
Other helpful tools
- Cycle Streets (Dumfries) Journey planner
- Dumfries Cycling – local routes and info
- Dumfries weather forecast
- Go Smart!
- GoSmart Maps
- Travel Safe D&G App Download the APP from Apple https://apps.apple.com/ec/app/travel-safe-d-g/id1597339903?l=en or Google Play/Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.UWS.dandgroadsafe
- Winter Treatment Routes
There are other ways to get involved with cycling, by helping improve conditions for cycling in the area.
- Amey (report a defect on trunk roads, including cycle paths alongside them)
- Contact your local councillor
- Council road fault reporting
- Dumfries & Galloway Council
- Third Sector D&G funding resources