Thanks to all who came to last night’s meeting – a very productive discussion and lots of plans hatched for the future!
Highlights for those who couldn’t make it:
- Discussion of the council’s latest Community Links bids to Sustrans (from paragraph 3.22 of the Economy, Environment and Infrastructure committee report):
- Extension of the Dumfries to Mabie cycle route to New Abbey via minor roads U220n, U215n and U218n which appears the most logical route at this stage;
- b) Moffat Road to Dumfries High School and Marchfield. A further extension of work on Moffat Road for which funding received this year and completion of connection to Marchfield, for when progression within the development allows use of the connection to Marchmount Avenue built some years ago;
- c) Lochfield Road, Dumfries. Linking westwards from Terregles Street to Glasgow Street and Sunderries Road, leading to Loreburn Bridge, and northwards to Cuckoo Bridge Retail Park, i.e. joining together existing cycle facilities;
- d) Eastfield Road/Rosevale Street, Dumfries. To extend previous work south of Westfield Road to create a connection towards the town centre. Previous consideration frustrated by location of public utilities therefore a fresh examination is appropriate.
- Organising a ride with local politicians and candidates prior to this May’s election, focusing this time on the issue of the new hospital access – provisional date set for Friday 20th March.
- Organising an Easter ride from Dock Park, as part of a general Friends of Dock Park event (details to be confirmed).
- Sally and John Schofield to meet with representatives from the Dumfries Learning Town project to talk more about access to schools.
- Raising awareness of our activities and campaigns among cyclists (and those who want to cycle). Ideas in progress include ‘bike portraits’ of cyclists around Dumfries, and some sort of an early morning ‘coffee club’ to provide a casual opportunity to chat and raise issues. G&G’s cafe was considered as a possible option.
- We will apply to have a stall at the Environment Fair again this year, which will be on Saturday 14th March. Any volunteers to help man the stall welcomed
So there’s lots going on – watch this space for further details of all of these.
We also agreed to meet again on the first Tuesday in March (the 3rd) for more planning